Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Italian Meatballs

A few months ago I purchased a couple of 1 pound bags of frozen meatballs for $1.99. They made boring spaghetti into yummy spaghetti and meatballs! We finished our last bag of meatballs and I knew that making meatballs from scratch had to be better for us. So when I found ground beef on sale for $1.19 a pound this week I decided to make meatballs!

Here is the recipe (which I doubled to make 2 pounds):

1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup Italian Breadcrumbs
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 medium onion
garlic
salt
pepper


Mix all ingredients together. Don't add all of the water at one time. Mixture should be moist but not so that meatballs fall apart. (I only used half of the water!)

Shape meatballs to desired size. (I used this cookie scoop to make sure all of my meatballs were the same size.)

Place on a broiler pan. (I just used my cookie sheets!)

(Close up of uncooked meatball.)

Broil until outside is slightly brown on one side and then turn and broil the other side. (Here is a shot comparing the cooked meatball and the uncooked.)

I then put mine on the cooling rack so they would completely cool before I froze them.

Yield: 62 meatballs (doubled recipe)

I separated the meatballs into 5-12 packs and froze them so now I have homemade meatballs to add to my spaghetti sauce! (And I sampled the other 2 which were delicious!)

3 comments:

Calvary said...

Looks Yummy!

Ms. Orange said...

Thank you Rachel for a recipe that doesn't call for eggs. My daughter is severely allergic to eggs and as you can imagine, it's difficult to cook sometimes.

Lisa said...

I am definitely going to try these--I have lots of ground beef in the freezer. By the way, tomorrow I am going to be posting about a quilt I am working on. You have to check it out--you would love making one of these quilts--it is so fun!

Frugal Hackers badge