Sunday, July 26, 2009

Groceries

The past few weeks I have really thought about the foods we eat and how unhealthy some things are. Our eating habits aren't bad, we don't eat a lot of processed foods like chips, cookies, meats, freezer meals, etc. however we still don't eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and healthy foods. I am going to start trying to eat much healthier and try to purchase organics and higher quality meats. I am not going to go completely organic and never eat "junk" food but I'm attempting to make healthier choices for our family!

With all that said, here is what we picked up at the grocery store this weekend (we have a freezer full of food and a producing garden so we didn't need to purchase much!)



2- Organic Kiwi @ $.55 ea. $1.10
1 lb. Laura's Lean Beef $1.79 (marked down)
Fresh Broccoli $1.59
3 lbs. Organic Onions $2.69 (less than a 3lb. bag non-organic onions!)
5 lbs. Whole Wheat Flour $2.49
White Vinegar $.56
Red Wine Vinegar $1.69
Hershey Syrup $1.76 (see...not everything is healthy!! Chocolate Milk!)

Total (with tax): $14.73

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Interesting. I have been thinking of the same thing lately. I seem to be getting over the need to get every deal. We want to eat more fruits and veggies.

Jenna said...

Since my sister went on a gluten free diet, my mom has been trying to feed us a lot healthier than we used to eat...because of our family size, we don't eat completely organic etc. but we encorperate things like making fresh whole wheat bread, we raise our own pork and hopefully beef soon, drink raw milk. You know from my blog that I love to bake, so we still eat some sweets:)

Unknown said...

Good for you Rachel!!! I am so glad for you and John David. I did notice that you all had ate quite unhealthy. But I knew that you would eventually realize after growing your own garden how much better fresh food tastes. We live in West TN and purchase all of our meat from the mennonites. We are a family of 5 and purchase a 1/2 of steer and a whole hog every year and a half or so. It is about 8-9 hundred dollars each time. You have the option to purchase smaller amounts if you have a smaller family. If we ever have meat from anywhere else, we can really tell the difference. We also grow, can and freeze our veggies. The Lord lead us to the homesteading lifestyle about three years ago. I love it!!! We live simple, frugal, and do everything we can to glorify our Heavenly father. Keep up the good work Rachel and John David. You both are SO blessed to have started young.

Frugal Hackers badge