Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Garden

Our garden is growing really well! I am learning as I go, I may have a degree in Agriculture but basic gardening is not taught! This is my first time to have my own garden! It is far from perfect and many of my plants are a little behind but I am learning so much and we have vegetables growing (the most important thing about the garden!!)

We haven't used any chemicals in the garden but we do use liquid Miracle Grow once a week. Surprisingly we haven't had many problems with bugs...I hope they stay away as our vegetables grow!

The Garden


My largest Bell Pepper


Tiny Bell Pepper


Green Beans...they were planted late but hopefully they will produce!


Pinto Bean plant


Pinto Beans...I started these from dry beans from the grocery store, I'm anxious to see how they turn out!


Tomatoes...the Tomato plants are small but they are producing!


Red Beans...these were also started from dry beans from the grocery store!


Cantaloupe plant


My biggest Cantaloupe!


Tiny Cantaloupe!


Corn...it's a little behind but hopefully it will produce!


My huge Cherry Tomato plant in the front flowerbed!!


The beautiful Cherry Tomatoes!


I am so excited about salads with Cherry Tomatoes, canning Tomatoes, eating fresh Cantaloupe, making fajitas with the Bell Peppers....

Past Garden Posts:
May 21 All seedlings planted!
March 26 Starting the seeds!

10 comments:

Marble Creek said...

It looks wonderful. We are getting ready to PCS to a new duty station so no garden for me this year and I really miss it. It looks like you are doing a great job. Hands on learning is the best way when it comes to gardening.

Katie said...

I loved the pics of your garden. I LOVE gardening & I planted my first veggie garden this year. It's doing pretty well, considering we haven't had much hot weather out here in the Pacific NW yet, but it's keeping me busy & I'm learning a lot! Good luck with your garden :)

The Book Lady Online said...

Things look really nice in your garden. Gardening is so much fun. You are doing a great job.

Alea Milham said...

Your garden looks wonderful! I have never tried growing pinto beans or red beans before. It will be interesting to see how they do and what you do with them.

Jillian K. said...

Your garden looks great! Congrats!

Ms. Orange said...

I love to see your garden, it's beautiful!! We live in military base housing and aren't allowed to plant anything that you can eat. (though you could plant them in planters but my dog eats them) Someday we'll have our own place and our own garden!

Blessings from Okinawa, Japan

Todd & M said...

Great post, Rachel. THank you for taking the time to take pictures and post them for us.
I love to see the progress of people's gardens. I am jealous that you have so much room to plant!

You opened my eyes to Lasagna Gardening, which I recently checked out the book from the library. I will be making some extra room in our yard this Fall and trying it.

Do you and hubby like Zuchinni? They are really easy to grow, and produce for a very long time. We plant 2-3 plants a year, and they keep us full between zuch omelets, saute'd zuch, and even zuch in our sketti (makes it go further - we use less sketti, more zuch ... and you can freeze it.)

You are doing great, considering this is your first garden. Well done!

~M

Unknown said...

Thanks for all of the encouraging comments!! Hopefully very soon I will be sharing pictures of ripe veggies & cantaloupe!!

I honestly have never eaten zucchini but my mother-in-law brought me one this past weekend & I plan to cook it tomorrow or Saturday. I am thinking grilled veggies (zucchini, onions & maybe my bell pepper!) If we like it I will definitely plant some next summer!!

Amy Lynne said...

Your garden looks great! Mine got a late start too, but is looking good so far! Congrats on your bounty!

Anonymous said...

Now I remember what I wanted to try to grow in my green house....bell peppers!! I'll have to add that to my list for next year.

Your garden looks great. =)

Elaine H

Frugal Hackers badge