Tuesday, February 3, 2009

White Bean and Chicken Chili

We tried out White Bean and Chicken Chili this past week! It was a good meal that is a keeper! I followed this recipe closely but it needed a little more seasoning in it, we added pepper to our bowls of chili and that made it a little better.



I got this recipe from an issue of All You. Here it is:

2- 15 ounce cans white beans, rinsed and drained
4- cups low-sodium chicken broth
1-Tbsp. vegetable oil
2-whole bone-in chicken breasts (about 3 lbs.)
Salt and pepper
2-onions, chopped
4-cloves garlic, chopped
2-4 ounce cans roasted green chillies, drained
1-Tbsp. ground Cumin

1. Place beans and broth in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until beans are tender, 2 hours.

2. Warm oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken, skin side down, in skillet; cook until brown, about 4 minutes. Turn and cook for 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate; remove and discard skin. Drain all but 2 Tbsp. fat from skillet. Add onions and garlic; cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add onion mixture, chilies, 1 cup water and cumin to a slow cooker. Stir; add chicken.

3. Cook on low for 6 hours, stirring twice. Remove 1 cup beans plus 1/2 cup liquid from slow cooker. Puree in a blender; return to slow cooker. Remove chicken, shred it and return to slow cooker. Spoon into individual bowls and serve.

All You said that this chili serves 6 at a cost of $1.58 per serving, which is $9.48 for the whole dish. That is too much for me! I didn't use canned beans, I bought dried beans @$1.98 a bag and used 1/4 so I used about $.50 worth of beans. I didn't purchase chicken broth, I cooked a whole chicken 2 days before I made this and used the broth from the chicken which really made that FREE! I only used 1 chicken breast to cut costs and there was plenty of chicken in the chili. The green chilies were $2 for 2 cans. I spent under $5 for this which is great for a dinner and we had leftovers for lunch!

2 comments:

Janet said...

Thanks for the review and the recipe.

Jennifer said...

Ooh, I love white chili! We will have to try this recipe!

Frugal Hackers badge