Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Making Pinto Beans

Yesterday I made pinto beans! It is more cost effective than store bought pintos and they are so easy to make too! I followed directions from the blog, A Year of Crockpotting, and they turned out great! Last night I enjoyed a nice bowl of Vinegar and Pintos with corn muffins!! Yummy!!


The beginning: beans, water, salt, pepper, and salt cured ham


After 8 hours of cooking on high


3 containers to go in the freezer, 1 small container to go in the fridge for Mexican Casserole, and 1 bowl for tonight's supper

2 comments:

moocifer said...

Nice pinto beans! I recently made a chili that was similar to your recipe, but with more chili-style spices.

Have you tried using a pressure cooker for beans though? It uses much less energy even than a crockpot and only takes 20 minutes of cooking time, or maybe even just 15 minutes.

What you do is first you soak the beans overnight, then put the fully plumped beans in the pressure cooker, (no more than 2/3 full) and bring it to pressure. Adjust heat to the lowest setting that will keep the pressure on (usually the middle setting works for me) and put your timer on for 15 minutes.

When the timer goes off, you depressurize it and you're done.

I almost always use my grandmother's old pressure cooker to prepare my basic bean batches as it works so well for them.

Then you would add the other ingredients to the beans and simmer them for a little bit.

Lynn said...

I have been doing this too and it works great. It is much cheaper than buying the canned ones. Thanks for sharing.

Frugal Hackers badge